Recovering from a Marathon

The day of the marathon I felt so great and had tons of energy.  I remember even dancing around the house that night wishing that I could go to a Zumba class.  Little did I know that I would wake up the next morning to terrible knee pain.  I couldn’t even walk very fast.  I had to get to work so I just dealt with the pain all day on Monday.  I have always been an active person so not being able to walk fast and not workout just killed me on the inside.  But I know that I my body needed to rest and heal from all the extra running I was doing.  I didn’t do any activity for the first week.

Friday we were leaving for a ski trip and I woke up with my left leg all numb.  I couldn’t feel anything and was getting concerned.  I decided to go to work because I didn’t want to miss.  The one thing about being a teacher is that you feel extremely guilty for not going to work.  I was thinking that once I got to work and was moving then the numbness of my leg would stop.  But it didn’t.  I called my husband and we decided that I needed to see a doctor because we were leaving at 4:00 for the ski trip.  I waited at the office for over three hours!  The doctor gave me some great suggestions and of course a new prescription.  I am not sure if the prescriptions help or not, I just think that they like to write them to make us feel better.  My leg finally felt better Saturday afternoon.  Yeah!

Usually when I ski we go 24/7 but this year I played it safe on the greens and did very little.  🙁  My daughters and son did amazing.  Jacob and Naomi even went down black slopes!  That is crazy.  Rebekah went to ski school and learned to stop and make it down the bunny slopes!  My husband skied a lot as usual. He even takes video while snowboarding.  I am doing good just to stay up!

Thursday was the day that I decided that I would go back to Zumba class.  It was great and I didn’t feel any pain.  I can’t wait to go to more!  I love to dance and it is a great stress relief for me.  Today my mother and I went for a run.  It was my first run since the marathon.  I made sure to take it slow because of my IT band.  I am going to be going slower and doing less miles until this problem with my knee goes away.  I have been faithful at doing the stretches and physical therapy exercises.  With God’s timing, it will get better.

One suggestion that my doctor made was for me to get shoes that were my size.  The shoes that I have been running in were a 1/2 size bigger.  I thought that would help my toes.  My issues didn’t start until I purchased my pink running shoes 1/2 size bigger.  I went to Fitniche today I they observed me running and recommended shoes for me.  They are the Mizuno Wave Inspire 9.  Hopefully these will work out.  They said I have 15 days to try them and if they don’t work for me, I can return them.

I also purchased Kinesiology tape for my knee.  I will see how that works out!



Comments are closed.